This is the audio of the Shahid Azmi Memorial Lecture delivered on 9 February 2013 by YUG MOHIT CHAUDHRY at the Indian Law Institute in Delhi. While the lecture date and topic – death penalty – were scheduled weeks in advance, it co-incidentally happened that Mohd Afzal Guru was hanged on the morning of the lecture. Shahid Azmi was a lawyer in Mumbai. He was 32 when he was shot dead on 11 February 2010.
On Shahid Azmi from Kafila archives:
- Arvind Narrain and Saumya Uma: Can the love of justice be assassinated?
- Mahtab Alam: Remembering Shahid Azmi, the Shaheed
- Susan Abraham: Deshbhakts at Arthur Road Jail
Previously in Kafila by Yug Mohit Chaudhry:
- A profile of Yug Mohit Chaudhry – A Pledge for Mercy
More on Afzal Guru from Kafila archives:
- Nirmalangshu Mukherji: The Day Afzal Died
- Gazala Peer: When the Indian nation’s ‘conscience’ was satisfied
- Nagesh Rao and Navine Murshid: Lessons from Delhi and Dhaka
- Shuddhabrata Sengupta: Satyameva Jayate? On the impending execution of Afzal Guru
- Chandan Gomes: What Afzal Deserves
- Statement by 83 feminists against death penalty
- A letter of protest to the President of India: JTSA
- Four statements on the execution of Afzal Guru