A fact-finding report released today by PUCL Uttar Pradesh
Fact Finding Report on the murder of MNREGA and labour activist Shri Hari Lal, Village Lehna, Block Manjhanpur, District Kaushambhi on 15.08.2010
A fact finding committee to investigate the incident was formed with the following: members
- Mr. S.R.Darapuri, Retired IPS, Vice President UP PUCL.
- Mrs. Arundhuti Dhuru, Consultant to Commissioner Right To Food Committee of Supreme Court.
- Mr. Ram Kumar, Vice President UP PUCL.
- Mr. Jawed Rasool, Dyanmic Action Group.
- Dr. Nisha Srivastav, Professor (Deptt. of Economics ), Allahabad University .
- Mr. Rajni Kant Rai, HRLN, Allahabad .
- Mrs. Bindu Singh, Convener UP Right To Food Campaign .
- Mr. Sanjay Singh, convenor, Parmarth, Oriye, Jalaun
The committee visited the site of incident in village Lehna on 21.08.10 .The fact finding committee met the family members of the late Hari Lal, other residents of the village, and workers and officials of Voice of People’s (VOP). The committee also met the district magistrate and spoke to the superintendent of police. The following facts about the incidents came to light through this enquiry:
Background to the Incident
The main issue behind this incident was of MNREGA and payment of labour wages. According to the available evidence, a pond was dug in the village by 250 labourers from the panchayat quota of MNREGA in April, May and June 2007. However, the gram pradhan, Tirath (Dhobi), did not pay the labourers full wages. The gram pradhan is a mere puppet in the hands of a former gram pradhan, Bassan, and his son Fateh and a criminal named Nakkan. Continue reading Godhra, arson, terrorism, stone-pelting, Dalits and Muslims, and other such issues in village Lehna