Let us recount some facts to understand the circumstances that led to the death of 23 children at a primary school at Gandaman, Chapra . First, some micro-facts :
- The primary school struck by the tragedy is a NAV SRJIT VIDYALAYA, a newly created school. In fact, it is a break away from an earlier existing middle school in the village.
- This school, if you care to call it by this name, is a single room structure with a floor full of potholes.
- There is neither a kitchen nor a facility to store the raw food-items in the school.
- There is no source of clean drinking water in the school. There is a hand pump there but you get hard water from it.
- Meena Kumari was NOT the headmistress of the school . She was only the teacher –in-charge of the school.
- The school has two women teachers including Meena Kumari. The other one was on maternity leave at the time of the incident. Meena Kumari was the only teacher left to look after more than 60 children, from class one to five who study there , a duty which includes teaching, supervising Mid-Day Meal (MDM) and other administrative duties. Continue reading The buck should not stop with Meena Kumari